Saturday, September 22, 2018

Senate Panel Sets Deadline for Kavanaugh's Accuser to Respond

【Move to another page】
Quote
https://ift.tt/2ptG5Nf
Senate Panel Sets Deadline for Kavanaugh's Accuser to Respond The U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee says it will hold a vote on the confirmation of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh on Monday if no deal is reached by Friday at 10 p.m. on how Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who has accused him of sexual assault, will testify. Committee Chairman Charles Grassley, an Iowa Republican, told the lawyers for Ford that the panel "has been extremely accommodating to your client" and wants to hear Ford's testimony "I'm extending the deadline for response yet again to 10 o'clock this evening," he said in the statement to Ford's lawyers. Lawyers for Ford have said she wants to testify before a Senate panel next week, but only if her safety is guaranteed. According to U.S. media reports, attorney Debra Katz said in an email to the Judiciary Committee that Ford wishes to testify "provided that we can agree on terms that are fair and which ensure her safety." Katz said her client has received death threats, and that Ford and her family had been forced out of their California home. Grassley had scheduled the hearing for Monday for both Ford and Kavanaugh to appear to tell their stories. But Katz wrote that "Monday's date is not possible and the committee's insistence that it occur then is arbitrary in any event." Katz said Ford's "strong preference" is that "a full investigation" be completed before she testifies. She had earlier called for the FBI to probe the charges against Kavanaugh. On Friday, U.S. President Donald Trump questioned the integrity of Ford, posting on Twitter that "if the attack ... was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed" with police. Trump also accused "radical left wing politicians" of attacking Kavanaugh, who Ford said sexually assaulted her at a house party 36 years ago. ​Late Thursday, the White House released a letter from Kavanaugh to Grassley in which he said he wanted to tell his side in the Monday hearing.  "I will be there. I continue to want a hearing as soon as possible so that I can clear my name," he wrote. Media reports said Kavanaugh had also received what law enforcement officials said were credible death threats. Trump chose Kavanaugh to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court created by the retirement of Justice Anthony Kennedy. His approval by the Judiciary Committee and the Republican-majority Senate appeared to be a near certainty until The Washington Post published its interview with Ford, who is now a California psychology professor.  She alleged a "stumbling drunk" 17-year-old Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her at a Maryland house party in 1982 when both were in high school. She said Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed and groped her, putting his hand over her mouth when she tried to scream, before she managed to escape.  Kavanaugh has adamantly denied the charges, saying he has never done any such thing to Ford or any other woman.  Women who say they have known and worked with Kavanaugh throughout his legal career say he has been respectful and fair in dealing with them. Dozens of women who support Kavanaugh held a Washington news conference Friday. Sara Fagen, who described herself as a friend and former colleague of Kavanaugh, said she and the other women at the news conference believe the allegation is untrue. "The reason that we know that this allegation is false is because we know Brett Kavanaugh," Fagen said. Women who attended Holton-Arms High School in Bethesda, Maryland, with Ford signed a letter in support of her that was personally delivered Thursday to West Virginia Republican Senator and Holton-Arms alumna Shelley Moore Capito. Organizers said it was signed by more than 1,000 former students. "We believe Dr. Blasey Ford and are grateful that she came forward to tell her story," the letter said. "Dr. Blasey Ford's experience is all too consistent with stories we heard and lived while attending Holton. Many of us are survivors ourselves." Republican lawmakers are trying to win Senate confirmation for Kavanaugh ahead of the court's start of a new term on Oct. 1 or, if not by then, ahead of the Nov. 6 nationwide congressional elections, to show Republican voters they have made good on campaign promises to place conservative judges like Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court.
September 22, 2018 at 10:28AM

Friday, September 21, 2018

A Fugitive Since 1992, Priest Returned to Face Abuse Charges

【Move to another page】
Quote
https://ift.tt/2I5XwMl
A Fugitive Since 1992, Priest Returned to Face Abuse Charges A fugitive priest who fled the U.S. decades ago amid allegations of child sex abuse has been returned to New Mexico to face charges after being arrested in Morocco last year, federal officials said Friday. Arthur J. Perrault, 80, a former Catholic priest in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and a former Air Force chaplain, has been charged in a federal indictment with seven counts of aggravated sexual abuse and abusive sexual contact between 1991 and 1992 at Kirtland Air Force Base and Santa Fe National Cemetery. Perrault, a one-time pastor at St. Bernadette parish in Albuquerque, is one of many priests who were sent to New Mexico in the 1960s from around the country for treatment involving pedophilia. Victims, lawyers and church documents show the priests were later assigned to parishes and schools across New Mexico, especially in small Native American and Hispanic communities. Vanished in 1992 Perrault was expected to make a court appearance later Friday in Albuquerque. It was unclear if he has a lawyer. "The FBI and our partners were determined to make sure he faced justice, no matter how long it took and how far we had to go to get him," said James Langenberg, FBI special agent in charge of the Albuquerque office. Perrault vanished in 1992, just days before an attorney filed two lawsuits against the archdiocese alleging Perrault had sexually assaulted seven children at his parish. The FBI said Perrault first fled to Canada and then to Tangier, Morocco, where he worked until last year at an English-language school for children. The FBI did not release further details on how he was located and arrested by Moroccan authorities. Multiple accusations Church records released last year by a New Mexico judge show he is also accused in state lawsuits of sexually abusing at least 38 boys in other incidents. The federal charges involve a boy who was younger than 12 at the time of the alleged abuse on the air base and at the cemetery, two federal jurisdictions. "This is a great day for survivors of clergy abuse everywhere," said Brad Hall, an attorney who has represented more than 100 victims of Catholic clergy abuse in New Mexico. Servants of the Paraclete Records show Perrault was sent in 1965 to Servants of the Paraclete, a religious order that ran a treatment center for pedophile priests in Jemez Springs, New Mexico, after he was accused of molesting young men while serving in Connecticut. A year later, he was recommended for a teaching post at St. Pius X High School in Albuquerque by a psychologist under contract with Servants of the Paraclete. Langenberg said the FBI's investigation began in 2016 and led to the indictment last year. "There were some people who doubted Mr. Perrault would ever be back to New Mexico after being away for so long," Langenberg said. "It was important to prove them wrong for one reason — the victim in this case."
September 22, 2018 at 09:47AM

iPhone XS/XS Max発売を記念。Spigen、ケースが最大37%オフになるキャンペーンをAmazonで実施

iPhone XS/XS Max発売を記念。Spigen、ケースが最大37%オフになるキャンペーンをAmazonで実施


【Move to another page】
Quote
https://ift.tt/2puZM7o
Spigenは、iPhone XS/XS Maxの発売記念キャンペーンをAmazonストアで開催します。期間は、2018年9月30日(日)まで。 対象となるのは薄型軽量ケース、 ...
September 22, 2018 at 06:56AM

注目の投稿

揺れ動く米朝関係:サミット開催を巡る不確実性と2026年の現在地

  揺れ動く米朝関係:サミット開催を巡る不確実性と2026年の現在地 かつて「ローラーコースター」と形容された米朝外交のドラマは、2026年現在、新たな局面を迎えています。かつてのトップ会談を巡る劇的な駆け引きは、今やより複雑で静かな、しかし根深い対立の構図へと変化しています。 ...

人気の投稿